Buddy The Dog Saves Owner From Burning Home

As a fire burns in a Sacramento home in the middle of the night, a Labrador proves he really is his owner's best friend.

A dog has been credited with saving the life of its owner after nudging him and alerting him to a fire inside his California home.

The man told Sacramento firefighters that he was sleeping when Buddy, a chocolate Labrador, woke him up on Thursday night.

The man saw a fire burning in a bedroom in the rear of the house but was able to escape alive.

He suffered some smoke inhalation and had soot on his face, the Sacramento Bee reported.

A Sacramento Fire Department spokesman, Roberto Padilla, said the man did not recall hearing a smoke alarm, and firefighters had found no evidence of a working smoke detector in the house.

Mr Padilla said the home had significant damage.