It's amazingâ€: KrejÄàkovà¡ and Siniakovà¡ take second Wimbledon doubles title
Czech tennis duo Barbora KrejÄíková and KateÅ™ina Siniaková won their second Wimbledon doubles title on Sunday, after beating Zhang Shuai and Elise Mertens in the final. It is the fourth out of the recent six major doubles tournaments that the pair has won and is all the sweeter given that they were prevented from taking part in the French Open.
Barbora KrejÄíková and KateÅ™ina Siniaková broke their opponents serve without allowing them a single point in the last game of their 6:2 6:4 victory over China’s Zhang Shuai and Belgium’s Elise Mertens.
After the game KrejÄíková told Czech Radio what it was like to take the title on Wimbledon’s Centre Court.
“It’s amazing. I think that it was clear from the moment we went on to the court that we weren’t ready to lose. We encouraged each other and went into the game with an active aggressive mentality. We wanted to show our opponents that the title is ours and that we won’t let it slip through our fingers.”
The Czech duo has been dominating the women’s doubles discipline since they won the French Open last year, adding titles from the Olympics, WTA Finals, Australian Open and now the Wimbledon over the subsequent 13 months.
The victory is all the sweeter given the circumstances. KrejÄíková, who had an elbow injury this year, tested positive for Covid-19 ahead of the first round of the French Open, preventing the two Czechs from defending their title.
It wasn’t clear how the two would fare at Wimbledon, as they had not had the opportunity to play much together in recent months, but Siniaková said that was not a big issue. Read More...