Italy migrant boat shipwreck: More than 100 people feared dead
There are fears more than 100 people, including children, have died after their boat sank off southern Italy.
At least 63 migrants are confirmed to have died, with 12 children including a baby said to be among the victims.
The vessel, thought to have carried some 200 people, broke apart while trying to land near Crotone on Sunday.
Italy's Prime Minister Giorgia Meloni has urged EU institutions to take action to stop clandestine migrant boat journeys.
On board the boat, which had set out from Turkey a few days earlier, were said to be people from Afghanistan, Pakistan, Somalia, Syria, Iraq and Iran.
Bodies were recovered from the beach at a nearby seaside resort in the Calabria region.
The coastguard said 80 people had been found alive, "including some who managed to reach the shore after the sinking", meaning many more remained unaccounted for.
One survivor was arrested on migrant trafficking charges, customs police said.
Many of those on board were thought to be from Pakistan. Its Prime Minister Shehbaz Sharif on Monday said more than two dozen Pakistanis were believed to have been among the dead.
As assistance and relocation operations continue, a group of survivors of the deadly shipwreck are struggling to come to terms with the loss of their loved ones.
At a temporary reception centre in the town of Isola di Capo Rizzuto, some of them were crying without speaking, some were just staring into the void, wrapped in blankets. Read More…