Last UK rescue flight from Sudan to take off on Wednesday
The final UK rescue flight from Sudan is expected to take off on Wednesday, the government has said.
The foreign secretary, James Cleverly, said British nationals who wanted to leave the country need to make their way to the Coral hotel in Port Sudan by 10am local time (9am BST), adding that there would be no further British evacuation flights from the city.
It was previously thought the evacuation airlift had ended on Monday when planes left Sudan for Cyprus.
So far, 2,341 people have been evacuated on 28 flights, according to the government, which described its evacuations as “the longest and largest operation of any western nation”.
Downing Street said 1,195 were British nationals, with other nationalities, including Sudanese dependants of British nationals, also helped to leave. The government also confirmed that, as of Monday, 18 Sudanese clinicians had left the country as part of the UK evacuation.
In updated guidance on its website on Tuesday, the Foreign, Commonwealth and Development Office said: “The UK government will run final evacuation flights from Port Sudan on 3 May. If you plan to leave Sudan, you should arrive at the Coral hotel in Port Sudan by 10am on 3 May to be processed to travel. Read More…