Louis van Gaal: Former Manchester United coach reveals he has prostate cancer
Former Manchester United boss Louis van Gaal has announced he has been diagnosed with prostate cancer.
The 70-year-old, who is currently the head coach of the Dutch national team, made the admission on a TV show in the Netherlands called Humberto on Sunday while promoting a new documentary about his life.
Van Gaal said he had not told his players about his illness, adding: "They see me blush on my cheeks and think, 'what a healthy (person that is'. That is of course not the case.
"I've been through a lot with illnesses, including with my own wife. So that's just part of life.
"(I) as a human being have probably become richer because of all those experiences. I thought that should also be in the film."
In August 2021, van Gaal took charge of the Netherlands for the third time in his illustrious managerial career, having previously led them to a third-place finish at the 2014 World Cup.
He replaced Frank de Boer after the Dutch side was knocked out of Euro 2020 in the last-16 and van Gaal will lead his country to the 2022 Qatar World Cup in November.
His side has been drawn in Group A, alongside Ecuador, Senegal and Qatar. Read More…