Rescuers in Morocco dig for third day to reach boy, 5, trapped in a well
Rescue workers in northern Morocco have entered the third day of digging to reach a five-year-old boy trapped down a 32-metre (105ft) deep well.
The boy has been stuck in the well, located in the northern village of Ighran in Morocco’s Chefchaouen province, since Tuesday evening. Rescuers said on Thursday they had managed to get down oxygen and water to him, and got a response from him.
“I pray and beg God that he comes out of that well alive and safe,” his mother, Wassima Kharchich, told local television 2M. “Please God, ease my pain and his, in that hole of dust.”
Khalid Agoram, the boy’s father, told another local broadcaster that he been looking for his son for hours on Tuesday before discovering that he had fallen into the well.
Rescue workers used a rope to provide an oxygen tube and water to the boy, but were unable to reach the hole where he is trapped. They also sent down a CCTV camera to monitor him, according to Morocco’s official MAP news agency.
They used five bulldozers to dig a hole parallel to the well in an attempt to reach the boy, identified as Rayan, MAP said. Local officials said rescuers have so far reached 19 metres.
“I managed to communicate with the child and asked if he could hear me. There was a response. I waited for a minute and saw that he began using the oxygen,” Red Crescent volunteer Imad Fahmy told 2M. Read More...