Mali: Political parties reject military's five-year transition to democracy plan
A significant coalition of political parties in Mali rejected the military-led government's plans for a slow transition to democratic rule.
The military plan says the transition could take up to five years.
Under its plan, a constitutional referendum would be held in 2023 and legislative elections in 2025. A presidential election would not take place until 2026.
The junta called its proposal "appropriate to conduct the political and institutional reforms."
What is the political situation in Mali?
The army has been in control in Mali since August 2020. In that time, the army has carried out two coups and postponed elections previously scheduled for next month that it had committed to holding.
Mali's foreign minister, Abdoulaye Diop, submitted the government's transition plans Saturday to the Economic Community of West African States (ECOWAS).
Diop forwarded the document despite a boycott of the national reform conference by political parties and nongovernmental organizations.
ECOWAS has threatened sanctions on the country's military rulers for postponing the elections.
On January 9, ECOWAS will hold a summit in the Ghanaian capital of Accra on the situation in Mali.
The military government had hoped to extend the transition period by five years beginning at the start of the new year on January 1.
Why have political parties in Mali rejected the army's plan?
A coalition of 10 parties said the plan is a violation of the transition charter and "has not been discussed in Mali and cannot in any way be the deep desire of the Malian people."
The coalition said in a statement it "rejects this unilateral and unreasonable timetable."
Sekou Niame Bathily, a spokesman for the coalition, told AFP that the coalition hopes "to proceed with quickly organizing elections." Read More…