6 more Palestinians killed as Israeli raids continue in West Bank
At least six more Palestinians were killed and nearly 20 others were injured Tuesday as sweeping raids by Israeli forces continued in the occupied West Bank, the Palestinian Health Ministry said.
Israeli Prime Minister Yair Lapid said that Wadih al Houh, the leader of a new group dubbed "The Lions' Den," had been among those killed in the northern West Bank city of Nablus.
The Palestinian Health Ministry initially reported three dead and 19 wounded, three of them seriously, shot "by Israeli fire in Nablus."
Later statements said that two more Palestinians had died in Nablus, while another Palestinian was also killed in overnight clashes near Ramallah.
The Israeli army said it had carried out a vast operation with police and intelligence officers targeting a site "used by the main operatives of the 'Lion's Den,'" claiming it as the group's "headquarters and a workshop for making weapons."
"The forces detonated the explosive manufacturing site," the army statement added, which did not provide a death toll. "During the activity, multiple armed suspects were hit."
Violence has increased in recent months in the northern West Bank, the Palestinian territory occupied since 1967 by Israel, especially in the areas of Nablus and Jenin.
More than 100 Palestinian protesters and civilians have been killed since the start of the year, the heaviest toll in the West Bank for nearly seven years, according to the United Nations. Read More…