Boris Johnson drops out of Downing Street race clearing way for Sunak
Former British Prime Minister Boris Johnson dropped out of the race for Downing Street on Sunday night in an unexpected turn of events, just hours before the nomination deadline. This fact leaves the way free for his former Minister of Finance, Rishi Sunak, who by Sunday afternoon already had the support he needs to access the primaries of the formation.
Although applications must close at 2:00 p.m. (1:00 p.m. GMT) on Monday, Johnson clarified that he had obtained the 100 sponsorships necessary to apply. However, he pointed out that "in the last few days I have come to the conclusion that it simply would not be the right thing to do. You cannot govern effectively if there is not a united party in parliament," he said in a statement. The controversial former prime minister said convinced that, if he were a candidate, he would have had "a good opportunity (...) to return to Downing Street" and be "well placed" to lead his field during the next legislative elections scheduled for two years.
His withdrawal could pave the way for ex-finance minister Rishi Sunak's appointment on Monday: he is currently the only candidate with the requisite 100 supporters. The other candidate, Minister for Relations with Parliament Penny Mordaunt, is far from it. Sunak announced on Sunday that he was running for prime minister of the United Kingdom, the day before the closing of the candidacies for this whirlwind process. He was also the first to reach the 100 sponsorships from Conservative MPs needed to continue the race on Friday night, but the 42-year-old waited until Sunday morning to make his candidacy official.
"The UK is a great country, but we are facing a deep economic crisis," the former banker, who was finance minister from 2019 to July, wrote on Twitter.
"That's why I'm running to be the leader of the Conservative Party and its next prime minister. I want to straighten out our economy, unite our party and take action for our country," he continued. Boris Johnson's camp had claimed throughout the weekend that the 58-year-old former prime minister, who returned from his Caribbean vacation on Saturday, had also reached 100 followers, contradicting at least three unofficial counts given to him. on Sunday night between 57 and 76 declared endorsements.
"I spoke to Boris Johnson and clearly he will come forward," one of his close aides, Minister Jacob Rees-Mogg, had said.
The other declared candidate, Minister for Relations with Parliament Penny Mordaunt, had been approached, according to her environment, by Boris Johnson, who asked her to withdraw in favor of her. Read More…